Saturday 27 June 2015

unit 77 evaluation

Art practices evaluation

At the start of the project I wasn’t a hundred percent sure what the brief was about or what it was for as I thought there was a going to be a big final piece, however I then found out that there would be several final pieces and that be influenced by different artists and to educate us about the fine art practices. Still even now I don’t quite get the reason behind it other than to educate us on areas such as colour, but also in Suprematist movement and Bauhaus, from people such as joseph Albers and kasimir Malevich. When I first received the assignment brief I thought it would be boring as when we started doing things about the squares I thought it would be basically the same thing over and over again however it became more interesting the further I got into the project as it showed that there is a lot more people who used the it several different ways in which different artist explore shape and use or those shape.
When working on this project the place in which I sourced my information and my research was the internet where I looked up artist such as Keith Coventry, who used maps as inspiration for his work. Kasimir Malevich, pioneer of geometric abstract art and the originator of the avant-garde Suprematist movement and creator of the black square.  Joseph Albers, teacher at the Bauhaus school and famous for his experiments and teachings of colour. And Mondrian original founder of the de stijl movement. I also used teachers and books to find out information about the artist works.
When researching this artist I took this research through notes, sketches and experimentations on both Photoshop to help us build towards our final pieces. Helping us make decisions about colour and other components.in my pieces I had inspiration from several artists for example in my map project I had a couple of influences for example my main influences being Malevich and Keith Coventry firstly I was influenced by Keith Coventry as he based his pieces of art of maps for example estate maps. Because of this I decide to base my piece on a map of the United Kingdom as it is also a map, I then colour coded it (by doing this it makes the piece more interesting and complicated) by the life expectancy from birth across the UK. Mondrian was also an influence as I added lines protruding from the squares like Mondrian did when doing his tree, also I used Mondrians technique when abstracting his work in stages, like he does with his de stijl, I would say I have tried to include Mondrian’s de stijl feel however I have createdthis by included instead of the black lines creating a kind of negative feel.  All of these ideas helped my piece become more complex and gave me ideas expanding in creativity. However before creating this outcome I created a Coventry inspired test piece using coloured card. for this piece we had to find a map and create Coventry style piece based his work and the method he uses to create his pieces of work. The map I chose to work off is the map of the white chapel gallery where we went to see the adventures of the black square. when creating this piece I use cut out pieces of card to represent different rooms however I also missed out rooms so it wasn’t too obvious that I got it from a map. I also chose a variety of colour such as green, blue, red, orange and white.
Overall I was satisfied with my final designs as I felt they all included strong influences from the artists I had researched, either by including pieces taken from their work such as I took certain shapes and curves from Kandinsky’s work  to help me represent music and objects. Or uses method that certain artists use to get a more considered outcome, for example I used Piet Mondrian’s abstracting technique where he abstracted it step by step. All of my pieces also include human mistake just like all the artists I had researched and infact all the artists in in the show “adventures of a black square” on a lot of my pieces I feel like the brush strokes show too much there for if I had more time I would work more on the actual painting of my final pieces as artists such as Coventry and albers don’t have obvious brush strokes showing in their work.
I feel that when working in my sketch book I ordered my work well and in order that we learnt about them helping me understand how one thing led from another. I also learnt a lot from the project not only in abstracting but also in breaking down objects when I see them also helping me in fine arts as I am now able to figure wheat shapes make certain objects essentially working backwards. I also have become a lot more aware in colour as joseph Albers has taught me about how certain colors react together and if the work together or not, it has also taught me how colour can make something stand out more and even give it a 3D effect
I enjoyed this project as I feel it ties in strongly with all the other projects were doing, with its relation to Bauhaus and also strongly to fine 

No comments:

Post a Comment